The following elective subjects are available for the Metallurgy Masters programme:
- Steel Technology: In this option, the basic metallurgical principles of steel technology are considered in more detail and special issues of metallurgical process technology are dealt with, as well as the specific manufacturing approaches of high-tech steel products in competition with other materials.
- Non-Ferrous Metallurgy: The extraction of non-ferrous metals such as aluminium, copper, zinc, precious metals etc. is becoming increasingly important in today’s society. A particular point of focus here is represented by the overall metallurgical consideration of primary metallurgy and the recycling of scrap and residues, as well as sustainability.
- Casting Technology: This option provides expertise in casting technology, i.e. the immediate production of metal components and intermediates from the melt, from solidification to various casting processes.
- Forming Technology/Component Manufacture: The basic principles are taught, enabling the simulation of sheet and slab working processes during the course, including consideration of the microstructure in the course of metal forming and the production of new and improved products.
- Industrial Management: This option is designed to provide methodological competence in industrial management techniques and general management skills, as well as interpersonal skills on a management level.
- Thermal Processing: Students are instructed in the process-related framework conditions of metallurgy, such as combustion, high temperature and heat technologies, as well as energy and environmental engineering.
Qualifications profile and typical fields of activity
The main fields of activity are:
- The management of metal extraction and processing companies
- Consultancy with regard to effective use of materials and manufacturing techniques
- Technical sales
- Research and development with regard to new processes, materials, and products
- Planning, project management and construction management for metallurgical production plants
- Optimisation of processes in terms of energy, environmental compatibility and business management