International Prospective Students

Every year close to 1.000 international students enrich our community and enjoy the advantages of a conveniently sized city. Why do they choose to study here?

  • Highly relevant study programmes in the field of resources development and sustainability
  • Ranked in the top 8% of universities worldwide
  • Low tuition fees and scholarship opportunities
  • High quality teaching and training with the world's best in their field
  • Work placements during your studies
  • Excellent career prospects with 99% immediate employability
  • One of the safest environments globally
  • Spectacular geographical location and leisure opportunities
  • Easy access to the community

Quick info before your stay

All degrees have a winter and summer semester intake. However, it is advised to begin a degree in the winter semester.

Please note Joint Programmes might have different conditions.


The application for admission has to reach the university at least

by September 5 for the winter semester (date of receipt) and
by February 5 for the summer semester (date of receipt) of each year complete with all necessary documents.

Please find the current deadlines in the Academic Calendar



Bachelor's Programmes

  • Proof of German language proficiency level A2 (not older than 2 years, according to CEFR) at the time of applying
  • For enrollment as a full-degree student you need to provide German skills at level B2
  • High-school diploma or equivalent certificate including all elected subjects and obtained grades 
  • If transferring from another Austrian university, you will also need to bring: Confirmation of Withdrawal and Record of Studies
  • If your high-school diploma is not equivalent to the Austrian "Matura", please also bring the confirmation of admission from an acknowledged technical university located in the same country as the high-school from which you graduated
  • Valid Passport or Birth certificate/proof of citizenship combined with an ID-card
  • CV with photo from NON EU/EEA citizens (Third country nationals)

More BSc-information for EU/EEA citizens

More BSc-information for NON EU/EEA citizens (Third country nationals)

Form Application for Admission for NON EU/EEA citizens (Third country nationals)


Master's Programmes

  • All requirements listed under Bachelor's Programmes except Proof of German language proficiency for Master's degrees held in English
  • Application for recognition of equivalence signed
  • For Master's degrees held in English: Proof of English language proficiency (please find accepted certificates below)


More MSc-information for EU/EEA citizens

More MSc-information for NON EU/EEA citizens (Third country nationals)

Form Application for Admission for NON EU/EEA citizens (Third country nationals)


University Preparation Programme

This programme prepares international students who have been admitted to Montanuniversität Leoben for additional or supplementary exams. If the higher education entrance qualification obtained abroad is not equivalent to the Austrian school leaving certificate ("Matura"), the necessary supplementary examinations must be completed before the start of studies.

If you do not yet have adequate language skills in German (B2 acc. to CEFR), you can be admitted to MUL as a non-degree student with knowledge of German at level A2 until you can provide proof of level B2.
You can find more information on the website University Preparation Programme.


German language proficiency certificates accepted:

  • Austrian Language Diploma - ÖSD  Zertifikat A2
  • Goethe-Institut's Certificate - Goethe-Zertifikat A2
  • German Language Diploma (Level I) of the German Standing Conference of Ministers of Education and Cultural Affairs - Deutsches Sprachdiplom DSD I
  • German Language Test for Higher Education - Sprachprüfung für den Hochschulzugang DSH A2

English language proficiency certificates accepted:

  • IELTS - minimum of 6 points
  • TOEFL ibt - minimum of 80 points
  • TOEFL pbt - minimum of 550 points

Whether or not you will need a visa to enter Austria as an international student depends on the country you come from and on how long you want to stay.

Nationals of EU/EEA countries and Switzerland

EU/EEA and Swiss nationals can enter Austria without a visa or residence title. For stays longer than 3 months, EU/EEA nationals have to apply for an EU/EEA confirmation of registration („Anmeldebescheinigung“) at the local municipal authority (Bezirkshauptmannschaft Leoben) within the first 4 months of their stay.

Attention: Non-compliance with this regulation can lead to a fine up to 250 euros!

Nationals of Third Countries

If you do not have EU/EEA or Swiss nationality you are a "national of a third country" and you will need an entry or residence permit in order to enter or become resident in Austria. You can find important information on the OeAD Website.

Attention: As entry or residence permit applications can take a longer period of time, get in contact with the respective offices straight after you got the invitation / acceptance letter!

The MIRO-Welcome Center can support you in finding the right visa or residence title, please get in touch well in advance.

More information on Entry and residence regulations for international students

An overview of accommodation in Leoben can be retreived from the following website:


Most of our international students stay in the OeAD Guesthouse mineroom, which is in operation since 2016 and is the world’s first high-volume passive house constructed as timber framed structure.

More information: 


Campus Life

There are lots of things to do when you are studying at Montanuniversität. Away from the university and research departments, the city of Leoben has a lively social scene and an amazing range of health and fitness facilities, shops and culture. 

More information:


Campus Plan


Make sure that you have a valid health insurance plan for your stay in Austria.

Nationals of EU/EEA countries and Switzerland:

EU/EEA citizens who have a national health insurance in their home country and who stay temporary in Austria can apply for the European Health Insurance Card (EHIC) with their national health insurance provider. EHIC gives access to medically necessary state-provided healthcare in Austria under the same conditions and at the same costs as people insured in Austria. To learn more about the EHIC, readers can refer to VisaGuide.World's comprehensive guide.

Non EU/EEA citizens - stays of up to 6 months:

For stays fewer than six months (with or without a visa) a travel health insurance is usually sufficient. Please bear in mind, however, that it must be valid in Austria and provide sufficient cover for different health issues (covering medical costs of more than 30,000 Euros, including a guarantee to cover possible recovery and repatriation costs, and it must be valid for the whole duration of your stay in Austria). Travel insurance policies often have to be purchased before travelling to Austria.


Non EU/EEA citizens - stays of more than 6 months:

Students from third countries will only get a residence title for staying for more than six months if they can provide proof of having a “health insurance covering all risks”. Travel health insurance policies are only sufficient for the period between entering Austria and taking out a “health insurance covering all risks”. In this case applicants have to provide proof of having taken out a travel health insurance (covering medical costs of more than 30,000 Euros, including guarantee to cover possible recovery and repatriation costs, valid for at least three months) and they have to document the probability that they will take out a “health insurance covering all risks” after entering Austria.


OeAD Infosheet Health Insurance


ÖH Beitrag

The membership fee for the Austrian Student Union (ÖH-Beitrag) is mandatory for every student and includes your liability insurance.
The ÖH fee enables the Austrian National Union of Students (ÖH) to provide a comprehensive range of services and to act as a strong and independent representative of students vis-à-vis the responsible ministries. Due to its financial independence, compulsory membership in the ÖH guarantees that the ÖH acts in a politically independent manner. Part of your ÖH fee is used directly for the ÖH accident and liability insurance. This guarantees you comprehensive accident and liability insurance that covers (almost) all eventualities on your way to the university or, for example, during an USI course.

You do not live in Austria but you want to complete a full degree programme at Montanuniversität Leoben? It is only natural that you will want to ask quite a few questions first. We provide the answers to frequently asked questions from international applicants on this page.


I agree that all personal data provided by me may be saved, processed and utilized by MIRO until the planned study begin. Your data are treated according to the EU‘s GDPR (General Data Protection Regulation). I am aware that I can withdraw my consent to process personal data at any time by sending a message to info-international(at) The withdrawal of consent will not affect the lawfulness of processing based on consent before its withdrawal. For further information on the processing of your personal data, your rights according to chapter III of the GDPR, please visit